General Ottawa Contra information below this special message.
*Special Skill Building Workshop*
LEARN TO DANCE THE OPPOSITE GENDER ROLE!
APRIL 5th, 330-530pm
- Caller/facilitator: The masterful Will Mentor!!!
- Band: Richard Forest, Duncan Gillis & Paul Hawtin
- Date & time: Saturday, April 5th 3:30-5:30pm
- Location: Churchill Rec Centre, 345 Richmond Road
- Cost: $8 regular, $7 members & students. (Special rate for afternoon workshop AND evening dance of $17 reg, $15 members & students. Ages16 and under free.)
- Dinner: Consider joining us at a local pub for dinner in between
Why attend this workshop?
This workshop is aimed at ALL experienced contra dancers! (i.e., everyone but brand-new beginners). Will will provide instruction on how to dance figures from both gender roles - finessing these moves. He will also be calling dances. The idea is that people will dance the opposite gender role for most of the afternoon.
This workshop is the perfect opportunity to:
- Have fun, laugh & stretch in new ways!
- Try dancing the opposite gender role if you've never had the opportunity.
- If you're already dancing the other role, t'is a great time to spruce up on your skills.
- A BIG ONE!!! Deepen your understanding of the mechanics contra dancing... There's lots to learn about various figures that make them more satisfying. When you learn a figure from the other gender's perspective, you automatically become a stronger dancer!
If you are not interested in dancing opposite gender role regularly, this is still a fantastic workshop to attend. You'll be surprised!
Download this same info in flyer format here
AND a regular contra dance that same evening with Will Mentor & Domino!!! More info in the dance schedule listing.
Come try contra dancing in Ottawa!
Dances feature fabulous live music and calling from the Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, the New England states, and beyond.
Whether you are in your 20s or in your 60s, traveling solo or bringing your partner/family - come out for a great evening of big smiles and community fun.
Beginners are super welcome
& dances are taught!
We have lots of visitors from out of town. If you are one and need billeting, email us!
Contra dancing doesn't require fancy footwork - all you need is to be able to walk forward and feel a beat. There's lots of room to grow as a dancer, naturally picking up flourishes and groove from other dancers.
If you're into traditional-groove style of Irish, Quebecois, or Appalachian music, you would probably enjoy coming just to listen to the music - we hire top trad bands.
Every 1st and 3rd Saturday and 4th Tuesdays Sept-June. We also host the occasional special workshop or dance weekend. (See the schedule for more info.)
Saturday dances: 8:00pm-11:00pm, lesson at 7:30pm.
Tuesday dances: 7:30pm-10:00pm.
We occasionally hit capacity at the Saturday night dances. Thus, if you want to guarantee getting in, make sure you arrive early!
Saturday dances: Regular $12 ... Members & students (with ID) $10 ... Youth 16 and under free. (First-time contra dancers at our Saturday dances receive a card to attend their second dance free.)
Tuesday dances: Regular $7 ... Members & students (with ID) $5 ... Youth 16 and under free.
Interested in becoming a member? Visit our membership page.
What to bring: Light casual clothing as you will probably get a bit warm and regular indoor shoes with non-marking soles and low heels for easier dancing. And ... bring a water container too!